The displacement we see now in the cities around the world is neo-colonization — not by Columbian-swords and fighting ships — but by bankers, speculation, and racism in planning. Here in DC we are under full assault by ignorance, ad-hockery, and unreal estate costs. If we don’t continue to push back, we will lose the city and our place in it forever.
‘Plymouth Rock landed on us!’ Malcolm X
SOME IMPORTANT DATES THIS COMING TIME
This is a good week to engage on critical socio-economic-cultural issues of our time in the District of Columbia, and beyond.
1. Thursday, Oct. 12 — COURT BATTLE AGAINST DISPLACEMENT
2. Saturday, Oct. 14 — FORUM: AFFORDABLE TO WHOM?
3. Sunday, Oct.15 — TOWNHALL: AFFORDABLE ARTISTS SPACE IN DC?
4. Tuesday, Oct. 17 — FUNDRAISER: SaveOurPlaza.com
1. THURSDAY MORNING COURT BATTLE: Fighting Displacement Around Union Market. THURSDAY, OCTOBER 12, 2017, 9:30AM, DC COURT OF APPEALS, 430 E Street NW, Courtroom 2, Judiciary Square Metro (redline). Be there in person to see and hear one of the top zoning/planning lawyers in the District, Aristotle Theresa, Esquire, as he presents the argument that the massive overdevelopment of unaffordable studio/one-bedrooms in the District is an absolute adverse impact to longstanding District residents and families. We stand with Union Market Neighbors who are tired of city planning officials putting luxury greed over neighborhood needs. http://www.dc4reality.org/unionmarketneighbors
PLEASE RSVP: email@example.com || (240) 308-8872
2. AFFORDABLE TO WHOM? Affordable Housing and the Comprehensive Plan. SATURDAY, OCTOBER 14, 1:30 to 3:30pm. BENNING LIBRARY. http://tinyurl.com/affordable-to-whom-oct2017 The DC Grassroots Planning Coalition hosts this forum on the definition of ‘affordable housing’ in the District of Columbia. We will explore what the DC Comprehensive Plan says about affordable housing and discuss why city planning officials cannot seem to systemically and consistently contend with this number one crisis in the District (for more than a decade now)! District residents from around the city will be in attendance, with experienced housing organizers to help facilitate the forum. Be there and be ready to act for the benefit of your friends, family, and neighbors in your community. Event time and location: October 14, 2017, Starts 1:30pm, at the Benning Library. https://www.dclibrary.org/benning, 3935 Benning Road, NE, WDC 20019. Please RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org || 202-234-9119 x100
3. [[ location change ]] Artists Town Hall: Space is the Place. SUNDAY, OCTOBER 15, 2:00pm to 5:00pm. UPTOWN ART HOUSE. http://www.tinyurl.com/artists-townhall-oct2017 Gather with artists from around the District, including the ArtsxAction, NomuNomu, and 411Collective crews to discuss the number one issue facing artists in the city today, affordable longterm collective artist space. Why is it disappearing? How do we preserve and protect existing artists space? Why is affordable artists space important to our community health and campaigns for justice? We will explore these and other questions together as we build an action plan to win permanent affordable artists space in the District. Use Redline (Cleveland Park stop; 1 block south on the west side) Please RSVP: email@example.com, like the Facebook page >> http://www.tinyurl.com/artists-townhall-oct2017
4. SaveOurPlaza.com Fundraiser at Madams Organ. TUESDAY, OCTOBER 17, 2017, 6PM. http://tinyurl.com/sopa-mo-fundraiser-oct2017 The people of Adams Morgan DC fought racist redlining in the 1970’s and won. Now bankers and developers want to sweep this victory under the rug (under a wall of luxury condo units) and crush the peoples plaza at 18th and Columbia Road, NW. However, modern day Adams Morgan anti-displacement organizers are winning and are preparing for trial to protect the people’s victory and preserve the historic plaza at the center of their community. Be there to find out more and have a great time! Please RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org || 202 670 2366
MORE EVENTS (Calendars & Bulletin Boards)
* EmpowerDC >> http://www.empowerdc.org
* ONE-DC >> http://www.onedconline.org
* DC for Democracy >> https://www.facebook.com/groups/2540176953/
* SURJ DC >> https://www.facebook.com/groups/652826544817571/
* Food Not Bombs DC >> https://www.facebook.com/groups/foodnotbombsdc/
* The Peace House >> https://www.facebook.com/thepeacehousedc/
* Washington Peace Center >> http://washingtonpeacecenter.net/calendar/
* Neighborhood Network >> https://www.facebook.com/groups/NeighborhoodSolidarityNetwork
* DC Organizing Posse >> https://www.facebook.com/groups/235632049818909/
* The Great Ward Eight >> https://www.facebook.com/groups/161579963922562
* DC for Reasonable Development >> https://www.facebook.com/dc4reality/
Chris Otten, Co-Facilitator DC4RD
ANC Commissioner 2008-2010;
Homeless services advocate;
Public property watchdog
PS: Watch one of the #JusticeForBarryFarms videos here >>